Folbot

Kayak Cover

A general discussion about Folbots

Kayak Cover

Postby Dickc » Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Being a convert from the cartop upside down to the cartop right side up congregation, I had my new cover on the GII to keep the rain out of the boat while it was on the roof of my Toyota Highlander.

Did you know that the cover on the GII can hold 2132 gallons of rainwater? :lol:

It rained during the night and we broke camp the next morning. Marianne was driving and ALL THE WINDOWS WERE OPEN. :twisted:

She pulled out ot the campsite onto the road and hit he brakes. :o

All 2132 gallons came off of the cover and into the open windows. Well better in the car than in the GII on the roof.

Does any one know why they stopped putting rain gutters on cars? :evil:

The car dried out in a few hours. It took a little longer for Marianne to dry off. She has to stop wearing cotton shirts.

A few days later when we left the next camp ground, Janes Island SP, I got in the car with all the windows closed, stomped on the gas and mashed the brake. All 2132 gallons landed on the ground :) , not in the car.

BTW paddling into a 20 knot wind :( on Chesepeake Bay is work but umbrella sailing down wind is lots of fun. :D

Dickc
Dickc

Postby gobe » Sat May 19, 2007 11:16 am

I wondered about that. 2132 gallons, eh? Bet that was a rude awakening for your bride!

Rain gutters? I believe they eliminated them about the same time that they started curving the door windows into the roof, so you were sure to get both you and the interior wet when you opened the door in the rain!

I never have that kind of 'fun' with my 'inverted' carry.
'gobe'
Black 'n Green Super TSK, Black 'n Blue Cooper No. 1, Black 'n Green Kodiak, Wood 'n Fiberglass CLC Chesapeake LT18
gobe

Postby Sailboy » Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 am

See, over at the Church of the Upside Down we talk endlessly about just this sort of outcome. Get right with the rain Dick!
Sailboy

Postby Dickc » Tue May 22, 2007 4:34 pm

Sailboy wrote:See, over at the Church of the Upside Down we talk endlessly about just this sort of outcome. Get right with the rain Dick!

I've been a true believer, missionary, and loyal member of that church until I was excomunicted because my Subaru died a sudden death and I was forced (By my bride :) ) to buy a Toyota Highlander.

The Highlander is too high to lift the GII onto the roof so we slide it on from the back. You can't do that with the boat upside down. Too many things (like seat backs) to get stuck and break off. I can't put it on a bar extension and lift it on from the side because the bike racks on both sides get in the way.

So you see I've been forced to become a member of the wrong way right side up church.

Dickc
Dickc

Postby Sailboy » Sun May 27, 2007 11:08 am

Huzzah! There are truly many ways to the water!
Sailboy

Postby Ken Hartlein » Sun May 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I've known Dickc for a long time and he is a very intelligent man. With that in mind and after doing the "2132 gallons of water" thing twice, I just can't imagine doing it the same way again!! Turn it over Dickc!!! :roll:
Ken and Charlotte
"Fred and Wilma"

Yukon Jack, Citibot BeeBe, GII Hazel, Sporty (project boat), Stearns K116, Native Ultimate 12
Ken Hartlein

Postby Dickc » Mon May 28, 2007 3:13 pm

Ken Hartlein wrote:after doing the "2132 gallons of water" thing twice, I just can't imagine doing it the same way again!!

Ken, you have to read my post again. The second release of 2132 gallons of water was a planned, controled release. The car windows were closed and the water landed on the ground just as I had planned. :) Then it was safe to drive with the windows open or to remove the GII from the roof.

Dickc
Dickc

Postby Doctor Al » Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm

I too am a true believer in the "Right Side Up" religion for Folbot travel. On my Yukon (see attached pic) the cover holds much less than the 2132 gallons reported for the Greenland II, but I also use the "hit the brakes hard" method described above for emptying water from my Yukon's much smaller cockpit depression after a rain. I have attached brass grommets to the cover at both ends and use these for attaching tie-down ropes. Beneath the hull I have found that surf board pads on my Thule crossbars works quite well. I use a combination of PaddleBoy wheels and a horizontal pull out assist bar to enable me to mount and unmount my Yukon without assistance. I used to always transport my Folbot folded . . . UNTIL Gobe taught me the bad habit of storing my boat assembled and hoisted in my garage. Now I am not sure I still remember how to disassemble it. Doc
Attachments
IMG_497.JPG
Apryl, my Honda Element, and My Yukon
(All Three Whom I Love -- in the Order Listed)
Doctor Al

Your are Properly Oriented, Doc.

Postby ozarque » Thu May 31, 2007 11:18 am

If not transported the best way, in the bag, then I cast my vote uprightly. Nice rig there, Doc Al. Its nice to see your post.
John

Yukon, GII, '68 Super TSK, Sawyer Loon, Pygmy Coho
ozarque

Postby Ken Hartlein » Thu May 31, 2007 10:34 pm

Hey Doc Al, long time no speakee to, how the heck are you?? Floated the Mississippi lately, or the Missouri?? Do you still have your Aluet?? The next time I'm back in MO I plan on trying to visit with Gobe, maybe the three of us could have lunch??, or a cold DosEquisXX???? Well that's why then make different ways to do things, myself I would'nt couldn't shouldn't carry mine any other way except the "one true way" and that is bottoms up!!! ha ha ha ha. No offense Dickc. 8)
Ken and Charlotte
"Fred and Wilma"

Yukon Jack, Citibot BeeBe, GII Hazel, Sporty (project boat), Stearns K116, Native Ultimate 12
Ken Hartlein

The GII storage cover?

Postby oldkayaker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:42 am

I can't seem to delete my post so this will have to do.
Last edited by oldkayaker on Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldkayaker

Postby davekru » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 am

I get about 2000 gallons for the internal volume for a G II, not about 20,000 gallons.

On the question of whether an upright boat or an inverted one generates more drag: seems like the inverted boat's hull conforms better to thw slipstream of air over the top of a vehicle, suggesting less drag, not more.

As to lift: I seriously doubt it makes much difference, considering that the open cockpit will generate massive turbulence, upright or inverted.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Frankenboat, the Red Kodiak; DB, the Yellow Cooper; Sunnysideup, the Yellow Sea Star, GreenBean, the Teal Edisto, and an un-named, Turquoise Libra. Oh, forgot: Surf Scoter the Bartender.
davekru

Folding Folbots

Postby PeteS » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:31 am

We are talking Folding Folbots here right? The practice of hoisting a GII on the roof of anything poses the possibility of serious back injury.

If it takes 10 minutes to lash the boat to the roof rack and 10 minutes to fold it and throw it in the trunk(where there is NO drag(that I'm aware of), then I opt to used the reason I bought a folding craft in the first place.

:D
PeteS,
Sporty, Greenland II, Cooper
PeteS

Postby Dickc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 am

A GII, being a tandum has two people to lift it onto the roof. That's less than 35 pounds each. If you lft it properly I can't see much risk of injury on a car that's low enough for you to reach the top.

When the racks are on the roof and set up to carry the kayak it takes a lot less than 10 minutes to put the boat on top and tie it down. I'd say about 3 minutes. It takes longer than 10 minutes to pack the GII and then longer than ten minutes to reassemble it before I can paddle. Then more time to disassemble when I finish paddling.

For short drives the loss of fuel economy isn't a factor and for long drives I often have the car filled with camping gear etc and don't have room for a folded kayak inside the car. When traveling over 2000 miles,which I do several times a year, I carry the boat in the car if there's room.

As to whether up side down or right side up is correct. They both work.

To quote Sailboy; "Huzzah! There are truly many ways to the water! "

I've seen the light and converted from an upside down fundametalist to a pro choice liberal. :) Now I have to run outside and hug a tree.

Dickc
Dickc

Postby davekru » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 pm

DickC wrote: Now I have to run outside and hug a tree.

Cool. Out here, the loggers sport stickers saying: "Hug a logger -- they're more fun than a tree."

Ahhh, another thought ... just avoid the cascara tree, OK? :roll:

As to cartopping a G II; DickC said it all. Never even close to a back injury cartopping my G II, even alone. One clue: Hully rollers on the rear rack allow you to lift only one end at a time. A rack extension tube will do the same thing.

OTOH, I agree, manhandling the thing by yourself, as a solo load, and trying to get both ends atop cradles, simultaneously, might be risky. I use my head, not my back. The noggin is thicker and denser than my back! :wink: :lol:
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Frankenboat, the Red Kodiak; DB, the Yellow Cooper; Sunnysideup, the Yellow Sea Star, GreenBean, the Teal Edisto, and an un-named, Turquoise Libra. Oh, forgot: Surf Scoter the Bartender.
davekru

Next

Return to General Yak!