Folbot

Old Folbot Forum

Discusion related to all older Folbot models Pre Hugo! (1990)

Old Folbot Forum

Postby bagboater » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't see a link to the old forum on these pages. I mean the -old- old forum. It would be useful, if it still exists, especially to owners of older and of pre 1990 Folbots.
There was a lot of good information there. Would be nice to have a link to it, hint, hint. :wink:
73 Gary
Gary Pewitt N9ZSV
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap! But it's that other 10% that makes life worth living.
bagboater

Re: Old Folbot Forum

Postby davekru » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:21 pm

It may be gone. This used to link to it: http://folbot.com/forum.html

But now that link i redirected to this: http://www.folbot.com/experiences/

No clue here as to what happened or why ... some good info archived there. Also some very outdated, potentially misleading information there.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Frankenboat, the Red Kodiak; DB, the Yellow Cooper; Sunnysideup, the Yellow Sea Star, GreenBean, the Teal Edisto, and an un-named, Turquoise Libra. Oh, forgot: Surf Scoter the Bartender.
davekru

Postby annd » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Yipes. I'd really like to have access to the old forum, at least for long enough to snag some favorites.

Ann
annd

Postby gpavlov » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 pm

So what's the verdict? Are the old Folbot forum posts really completely and irretrievably gone? That would be very unfortunate. I just went looking for an old post of mine (probably circa 2002) and could not find it. I know there were even older posts that had interesting information and would still have some value.

If anyone from Folbot is reading this, please let us know if there is a way to get the old posts back. They don't even need to be integrated into the new Forum. Could be a separate searchable area. I work in this area (database-backed web sites) and if you have the data from the old forum I could volunteer to process it and try to figure out the best way to present it. I could work with your IT/web people to make this happen. Contact me directly if you want to discuss. I would be very happy to contribute this way.

George
1998 folbot aleut
2001 feathercraft kahuna
gpavlov

Postby gpavlov » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:00 pm

By the way, the old forum's IP address (http://206.40.48.186/) is still being served by the WebBoard software (which used to be made by O'Reilly). This makes me think that the data may still be there, but only access is turned off.
1998 folbot aleut
2001 feathercraft kahuna
gpavlov

Postby davrutick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:46 pm

We have just made the Old Forum available.

Here's the link to the announcement viewtopic.php?f=26&p=19980#p19980
David A.
Folbot HQ
davrutick

Postby gpavlov » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:04 pm

this is great! thanks! looks like it is only the "old forum" (july 2001-july 2004) rather than the "old old forum". i seem to remember that there was some server crash/failure and the "old old forum" messages were lost. anyway, this is still pretty good!
1998 folbot aleut
2001 feathercraft kahuna
gpavlov

Postby flatwater » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm

Yahoo, thanks for bringing it back.
It's pretty easy to find what you want if you know an author or keyword, just use the "find in page" function of your web browser. I've already looked up a couple of old posts and it works very nicely.
Enjoy.
John Burch
West Suburban Chicago
Blue GII - Smoke Kodiak - Smoke Citibot
flatwater

Postby CD Noble » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am

Looking for information in re-skinning a folbot Super. I have just obtained the boat from the widow of a friend that I paddled with for years. We each had Supers. I sold mine when offered twice what it was worth a few years ago and was working to much to use it. now I am retired and have one that has been sitting outdoors unprotected for years. the vinyl is rotted and cracked. The frame is perfect and solid.
What kind of material is best to use as the vinyl is too heavy and cuts easily. I would like to use more modern materials.
Chuck Noble
Lebec, CA
CD Noble

Postby CD Noble » Fri May 11, 2012 1:05 pm

Finally getting around to skinning my old Super. Have re-enforced the framework as I found a few bad area's. the previous owner was around 350lbs and cracked a few spars. A friend works with airplanes, restoring old canvas. He suggested we use carbon fiber which is stronger than fiber glass and much lighter. Will be ordering material in a few days and hope to have the boat in the water in a month. I saved the old rotten skin for a pattern so it should not be to hard to make things work. I hope to impregnate the color in the resin and make it somewhat of a camo pattern as I do wildlife photography and intend to use the boat in the marsh and rivers and along the coast. Will take photos and post the process once we get started. Hopefully all will work out.
Chuck Lebec, CA
CD Noble

Postby bagboater » Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Wow! Carbon fiber, you'll probably be the first ever to re-cover a Folbot that way. I really hope it works well. If your Super is not a folder it will be a lot easier to do. I can't even imagine doing a folder skin in carbon fiber. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. I think that black carbon fiber texture would be ultra cool. I have some knife sheaths made from it and really like them. Best of luck with it. I will be looking for your progress reports.

CD Noble wrote:Finally getting around to skinning my old Super. Have re-enforced the framework as I found a few bad area's. the previous owner was around 350lbs and cracked a few spars. A friend works with airplanes, restoring old canvas. He suggested we use carbon fiber which is stronger than fiber glass and much lighter. Will be ordering material in a few days and hope to have the boat in the water in a month. I saved the old rotten skin for a pattern so it should not be to hard to make things work. I hope to impregnate the color in the resin and make it somewhat of a camo pattern as I do wildlife photography and intend to use the boat in the marsh and rivers and along the coast. Will take photos and post the process once we get started. Hopefully all will work out.
Chuck Lebec, CA
Gary Pewitt N9ZSV
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap! But it's that other 10% that makes life worth living.
bagboater

Postby ozarque » Sat May 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey, I found the old 'lost' forum. I guess maybe I was the only one who had lost it.
There is a HUGE amount of information here for the searching with tons of mods and restoration info as well as many EPIC ADVENTURES

the pistures we had there are gone, unfortunately...

THE OLD FOLBOT FORUM LINK:
old_forum/
John

Yukon, GII, '68 Super TSK, Sawyer Loon, Pygmy Coho
ozarque

Return to Pre 1990 Folbots Sugg./Tips/Comments