Folbot

Restoring an old boat

Discusion related to all older Folbot models Pre Hugo! (1990)

Restoring an old boat

Postby sgb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Hello,

I Just was given my grandfathers old folbot. I think it is a super from sometime in the 60's, but i am still trying to get my parents to confirm that. i remember it being a great boat when i was a kid, but it has spent the last 10 years under my parents deck, where the skin has shrunk and some of the ribs and the stem from the stern have been destroyed by mold, rot and warping.

i would like to restore the boat. i have some experience building Greenland skin on frame kayaks and would like to sew a new skin together.

does anyone have information on where i could get the dimensions of the ribs and stem so that i can make new ones? maybe someone with an existing boat would be willing to send me tracings?

also what kind of material would be best for making a new skin out of, and how does one go about doing that?

any and all advice would be very helpful,

thanks

saul
sgb

Re: Restoring an old boat

Postby oldkayaker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:51 am

Saul,
Welcome to the forum. You really should say where you are located. Never know what your neighbors might have stashed away some where. Scroll down the page to the Maintenance/Repairs/Upgrades forum and you will find answers to most of your questions. Earl
oldkayaker

Postby sgb » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:01 am

I'm in vermont, so if there is anyone around who has spare parts for a super, that they are interested in selling, that would be great.

i am also looking for a sailing rig, or instructions on building one.

thanks

-saul
sgb

Postby MrPorcine » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 pm

If you can't salvage the old skin you might take a look at Yost's site http://www.yostwerks.com. He has some references to skinning a Folbot in the section on skinning his skin-on-frame boats. Not much detail, but you might email him to see if he has experience with this. The material he suggests (18oz PVC commercial awning stock) is much lighter that the original Folbot skin and not nearly as tough. It works OK for his sea kayaks.
Jim Ham, Menlo Park (near San Francisco, CA)
Super w/sail, a pair of Yost Sea Tour 15R, Anas Acuta, Nigel Foster Silhouette, Current Designs Gulfstream
MrPorcine

Postby cleipzig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:23 am

Saul,

I am rehabbing an older Super. I have the old stem off and cutting a new one soon. Do you want a tracing?

Chuck
cleipzig

Postby sgb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 am

hello Chuck,

yes,

i would love a tracing! it would make my life a bit easier if i don't have to go through the trial and error for making a new one.

how would be the best way for me to get it from you?

also, what are you doing about the skin on yours?

i have one that shrunk and a replacement skin my parents bought wich is too big... i am thinking about re sewing the one which is too big, but i am not sure how to go aobut doing that.

it looks like it is stiched, not glued like yhe ones on yostworks.

do you have any suggestions?

-saul
sgb

Postby cleipzig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:33 pm

I will make a tracing and mail it if you like.

As for skin, I plan to use a 18 or 22 Oz vinyl availible at a variety of places. Here is one.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/vinyl.html#18 oz. Vinyl Coated Polyester

Good luck,

chuck
cleipzig

Return to Pre 1990 Folbots Sugg./Tips/Comments