Folbot

Katrina's damage to Flamingo; Lodge closed

Discussion and Planning for Folbot Flamingo Flotilla in 2006

Moderator: annd

Katrina's damage to Flamingo; Lodge closed

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:55 pm

It slipped past me that Katrina might have affected Flamingo. She did more than that; the Park is currently closed beyond Mahogany Hammock, which is 20 miles north of Flamingo. The Lodge is not accepting reservations "until further notice". You can see pictures of the damage at:

http://www.nps.gov/ever/presskit/Katrina.htm

From the NPS web site:

"Hurricane Katrina passed directly over the park, bringing significant winds and heavy rains. Several sections of the Park were affected by the storm. Crews are working to restore areas to public use. The Flamingo area of the Park is currently closed and a portion of the park's main entrance road. The Ernest Coe Visitor Center, at the main entrance, Shark Valley Visitor Center, near Miami, and the Gulf Coast Visitor Center at Everglades City are open. Check the News section of website."

And from the News section of the website:

"NEWS
Park Announces Additional Re-Openings After Storm

Date
September 03, 2005

[...]

The main park entrance, west of Florida City, is open for limited access to park trails and attractions from 7 AM TO 7 PM. Approximately 20 miles of the main park road is open, and public use trails between the Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center and the Mahogany Hammock area are open for day use only at this time.

Flamingo remains closed to the public due to storm damage. The park is cautioning recreational boaters and fishermen of navigational hazards which include missing channel markers and damaged lighted navigational aids along the coast. Additional storm effects include erosion of shore lines, floating and submerged debris, and shifting of bottom sands.

[...]

Updated information on both parks may be obtained by calling 305/242-7700.

I'm sure they'll do their best to get the place up and running before the winter tourist season starts. But there are, of course, no guarantees. All we can say for sure at this point is that if Flamingo is open, there will be a flotilla.

If anyone has any updated info, please pass it along.

Postby cliffy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:14 pm

.... if.. and or.. should.... Flamingo be closed to campers come february.. we should have a back up location.. maybe not as good... but a missed opportunity to visit the warm south in the winter is not a good thing......
Possibly PeteS could steer us to an alternate just in case...... when he recovers from Katrina..... hope it wasn't so bad for him down at his location............
Cliffy
Paddle, enjoy, repeat.
cliffy

Flamingo alternative?

Postby oldkayaker » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:30 pm

This http://www.floridastateparks.org/grayto ... efault.cfm is my brother's favorite Florida campsite. I have not been there but was planning to visit on my way to or from Flamingo. Anyone familiar with it? I suspect it will be a bit cooler than Flamingo in january but otherwise it seems to offer most of the same amenities. Earl
oldkayaker

Postby BobA » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Never stayed at the park, but at Grayton Beach a few times (not lately). Is lovely and restful. Water right there is limited to a tidal lake/pond or two, and the surf (fairly steep beach). The big bay is a half hour away (?), there is some other sheltered saly within a couple of hours, and there are probably a couple of rivers handy. Could be cold (even a freeze) in Feb., or beautiful. I do remember swimming at Dog Island (a bit east) in November and thinking it was cold (and that was with teen-aged blood).

Bob
BobA

Postby annd » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:41 pm

The latest from the Park Service is that as of Sept. 11, the road is open all the way from the Visitor Center to Flamingo, for day use only. The main scenic boardwalks and trails are open. There are no services available in Flamingo, but both boat ramps are open for use.

So... Sounds positive to me. With the road now open, they'll be able to begin repairs to the lodge, campground, and other facilities.

Pollyanna, aka....
...annd
GIIs Gilbert, Mudlark and Barney
and hardshells Mathilda and Cliffy-Bob
annd

Return to Everglades City (formerly Flamingo) Flotilla 2006