Folbot

Stu's Place

Discussion and Planning for Folbot Flamingo Flotilla in 2006

Moderator: annd

Stu's Place

Postby BOBK » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:24 pm

I have been thinking hard upon the question of where to have the Flamingo Flottila this year . No ideas, no ideas, then it hit me, why there is onlly one place to have it. Of course, at Stu's place. I list all the advantages below.

1- Stu's place is close to the Everglades.

2-It would be sort of a way to honor Stu who has never missed a Flamingo Flottillla. Only three people have accomplished that.

3- Nice bath room facilities and color T.V.

4- If Stu had to work during part of the Flottilla we would all be there to greet him when he came home.

5-If Stu did have to work he could stop at the grocery on the way home and pick up anything we needed.

6-Real stoves, none of those chinsey little things we have used in the past at the campground.

7-Big pop corn bowls for our nightly pops.

8-Easy to turn into a two or three week affair.

9-Kevin would be close by for all the paddles.

10-And as a thank you we can call our camp host Flamingo Stu.

What's that address again Stu?

Your Buddy,
Bob K
BOBK

How about AnnD's present location: Red Bluff ?????????

Postby MichaelLomas » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:53 pm

Since they don't have alligators on the Sacramento River, I am inclined to think that Ann's present location, Red Bluff, would make for a great alternative to hurricane ravaged Florida. And since Ann has family in those parts, we might even get asked to check-in for some home comforts such as a hot shower. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Here are a few links I surfed into to check it out:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Red-Bluff-California.html

http://www.tehamacountyadmin.org/redbluff.cfm

Red Bluff derives its name from its location on a high vertical bank at the bend of the Sacramento River. Although never a mining camp, Red Bluff ranks with the celebrated towns of the gold rush days in age, exciting history, colorful personalities, and in present day importance.

http://www.sacramentoriver.org/article. ... icle_id=24

A Boating Trail Guide to the Sacramento River from Redding to Red Bluff
California Department of Boating and Waterways (CDBW)
[2003-06-27]

CDBW published a useful description on a section of the upper Sacramento River between Redding and Red Bluff. The article is titled boating trail guide and it includes a brief discussion of the wildlife and history of the area. The article divides the 54 miles of river into two major sections. “The 21-mile stretch from Redding to Balls Ferry is perfect for scenic touring and shorter trips. For the adventuresome, the breath-taking 33-mile stretch between Balls Ferry and Red Bluff is your ticket.” It goes on to discuss recreational opportunities, agency contacts and a section on safety and river etiquette. Finally a map is included with access points marked.

Source: http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Redding/index.htm
Mike
Kiawah-ing & Aleut-ing @ Ottawa - Rideau Canal - Canada
MichaelLomas

Postby Rogue Paddler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:12 pm

What a clever idea, and only four hours away for me.
Not as warm as Florida, but we do have our sunny days in the winter in California.
Sign me up.
David in Santa Monica
Yukon Exp and Aleut Exp
Rogue Paddler

Postby cliffy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:37 am

I have't been to Stu's place.. but I had a flat tire once in Red Bluff... yeah.. what a place.... ha ha.. :D :D I'm liking the alternative locations.. maybe we should go ahead and take a vote. ?? haha..... ..... I can imagine the fond welcomes we'd get arriving at all times of the day and night.... Should we get a few more sites to vote on.. or go with Stu's.... or Anns'....?? haha....
Leave it to BobK....... what an idea.. ....!!!
Cliffy
Paddle, enjoy, repeat.
cliffy

Postby davekru » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:33 am

cliffy wrote:I have't been to Stu's place.. but I had a flat tire once in Red Bluff... yeah.. what a place.... ha ha.. [snip] Should we get a few more sites to vote on.. or go Anns'
Word from Ann is that she is living under a mega-tarp on land that is fully off the grid, and in need of major rehab and refurb. Anybody who shows up in Red Bluff is likely to get put to work! (Dobie Gillis's four letter word, IIRC!)
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Frankenboat, the Red Kodiak; DB, the Yellow Cooper; Sunnysideup, the Yellow Sea Star, GreenBean, the Teal Edisto, and an un-named, Turquoise Libra. Oh, forgot: Surf Scoter the Bartender.
davekru

Postby annd » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:02 pm

MichaelLomas wrote:Since they don't have alligators on the Sacramento River, I am inclined to think that Ann's present location, Red Bluff, would make for a great alternative to hurricane ravaged Florida. And since Ann has family in those parts, we might even get asked to check-in for some home comforts such as a hot shower. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Sure, no problem! Come on down! There's plenty of room at Twining Tree Farm -- 20 acres of blue oak woodland, containing a caulked-to-the-gills-but-still-leaky 24-foot trailer and a coven of tarp structures variously named "Gumdrop City" and "Mom's Place".

Below is a photo of what passes for a hot shower chez Wolfgang (the daughter). As long as you are willing to boil your own water over the fire pit and keep re-filling the sunshower, you can have as long a hot shower as you want. Walls optional. Note that none of that plumbing actually functions as a water conduit. Still, I guess all those childhood hours playing with Leggos finally paid off.

davekru wrote:Word from Ann is that she is living under a mega-tarp on land that is fully off the grid, and in need of major rehab and refurb.

The tarp palace referenced by Davekru is just a bit rustly in a wind, but it does keep me dry. My favorite part is the side porch, where I cook my oatmeal in Sierra-warmed comfort on windy, rainy mornings. It's also a rainy-day workshop, heated again by Ms. Sierra.

There is also a photo of the somewhat less than palatial guesthouse. I never met a tarp I couldn't find something to cover with. (English majors, do not attempt to parse that last bit. That way madness lies.

davekru wrote:Anybody who shows up in Red Bluff is likely to get put to work!

Darn tootin'! Now that the monsoons are softening the ground, there are fence posts to pound in, oaks to fell to make room for an orchard, native grasses to plant.... And rabbit hides to tan. Thanksgiving dinner will be bunnies on a spit! As Mike says, Mmmmmmmmm. (Or something like that.).

Lovin' life in Red Bluff.....
Attachments
Cabana_outside.jpg
Hot shower, anyone?
Cabana_inside.jpg
Now all we need is the hot tub.... But how to make one out of PVC pipe and tarp??
Home_backside.jpg
No water is getting in this way!
Home_frontside.jpg
Breakfast nook to the left
GuestHouse.jpg
A little droopy, but in keeping with the gumdrop motif
...annd
GIIs Gilbert, Mudlark and Barney
and hardshells Mathilda and Cliffy-Bob
annd

Postby Rogue Paddler » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:36 am

Now come on Ann, admit you are sleeping in your van! (whose name eludes me)
David in Santa Monica (dry Santa Monica)
Rogue Paddler

Postby cliffy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:55 am

The palace in Red Bluff is definitely inspriing.. The hands on part.. the useful buildings.. the "nooks".. yup.. I"m proud of the handywork..... Cudo's Ms. Ann...!!! I doubt seriously you could sleep in the van.. last I saw it .... it was way too full.... :D and from what I see in the photo's...with the vented vaulted roof lines.... a Dakota Hole "heater".. would serve nicely if you like your deodorant aroma to resemble oak smoke..... .. :roll:
Many days.... this one included.. I'd trade in a skinny second for the simple existance of life -off of the grid-......... ya know.. when it really comes down to it.... we really don't need much....and usually better off without much of what we do have..... but I do see civilization creeping in... imagine..... a shower.. geeze.......... :D
go get 'em Ms. Ann........ !!!
Cliffy
Paddle, enjoy, repeat.
cliffy

Postby swaller3 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:26 pm

Betty says she's gonna need some help with the dishes and tell Bob ,he's in charge of the pecan pies.
swaller3

Postby annd » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:16 pm

swaller3 wrote:tell Bob ,he's in charge of the pecan pies.

Stu, get a grip, man! Bob is not to be trusted with pecan pies. That's one of my favorite Flamingo memories (not being a fan of that particular flavor myself, plus, I'm pretty sure Bob was not about to share anyway) -- the sight of a gaggle of raccoons carrying off -- in broad daylight -- the whole pie he brought to Flamingo '02. I can still hear them: "Psst -- free eats at Bob's. Pass it on."

I say, make Bob do the dishes. Yeah! :wink:

eating pecan-free brownies in the raccoon-free Red Bluff internet cafe.....
...annd
GIIs Gilbert, Mudlark and Barney
and hardshells Mathilda and Cliffy-Bob
annd

Return to Everglades City (formerly Flamingo) Flotilla 2006